Hello, Ciera Design readers! My name is Katie Kosaya, I’m a food photographer from New York City, and I’m really excited to be featured here today!
Here’s a fun, springy recipe for Mother’s Day brunch. I’m a big fan of the fancy toast trend, because it’s such a simple idea that can have infinite interpretations. And there’s something about crunchy toasted bread that never gets old, especially when combined with fresh, colorful toppings.
While savory toast is always good, after a winter of comfort food, I’m very ready to start eating juicy berries and fruit again. You can use strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, pineapple, or anything else in season. Top it all with sprinkled seeds, such as chia, sunflower, flax, or nuts like toasted walnuts or sliced almonds. I also sometimes finish off the dish with a drizzle of honey.
I love this raspberry-blueberry combination with a pinch of citrus and a hint of mint. It’s vibrant, flavorful and bursts with vitamins! Try my recipe below, but really, it’s more one particular arrangement of tasty ingredients — feel free to experiment!
Ricotta Toast with Fresh Berries
- 2 slices of a bread of your choice (I use ciabatta)
- 2 Tbsp fresh ricotta
- 1 cup of mixed berries of your choice, washed (I used raspberries and blueberries)
- 2 kumquats, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh mint, washed, thinly chopped
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey
- Lightly toast bread in the oven. Let it cool.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta on each slice of bread.
- Add berries, kumquat slices and mint leaves on top of ricotta.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Serve with a cup of hot coffee or tea for a perfect start to your day!