I recently attended a wonderful event hosted by the Boston Graphic Artists Guild. The presentation discussed resources needed to start or expand your own business without the hassle of spending money! Justin Perricone, a freelance graphic designer, walked us through finding the free stuff, how to get the most for your money (assuming you even spend any) and where it can’t hurt to spend a few bucks.
- The basics:
- 1 – Gmail Account: you can have any account forward to gmail
- 2 – Google Docs and/or Open Office
- 3 – Set up a Pay Pal account and get squareup.com
- 4 – Get an Employer ID Number (EIN)
- 5 – Business Bank Account
- 6 – Accounting: Curdbee, Slimtimer, bit.ly/easysheet
- 7 – Google Voice: separate local phone number and customized messages
- 8 – Website: wordpress or coroflot
- 9 – Business Cards: Overnight Prints, 48hourprint
- 10 – Marketing: Use mailchimp for newsletters
and if that wasn’t enough, Justin also started a Free in Freelance blog where he posts all kinds of awesome deals like free stock photos, domains for $1, dirt cheap bussiness cards and free magazine subscriptions!
Images click through for credit.